Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Law Professor Paternalism

I don't think I will ever understand this sort of paternalism. Everyone studies for exams in different ways, and the "best" way of studying will be the one that results in the best final exam grade. My best (non-seminar) grades have always been in classes where I used an old outline and my worst were in classes where I made an outline from scratch. Clearly, using an old outline was a pretty smart move.

Does using an old outline instead of making my own cause me to learn less? Maybe, maybe not. Honestly, it's not something I would even care much about. As a law student, let me tell you, I'll take an A with little or no learning over a B with a good understanding of the subject. I can obtain a good understanding of a legal field later, either through self study or taking classes for that purpose.

But once I get a law school grade, there's nothing I can do to get rid of that grade or make it better -- that grade is stuck on my transcript for the rest of my life, and I think I speak for most law students when I say I'd rather get stuck with a bunch of As and A-s than a lot of Bs and B+s.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home