Saturday, November 11, 2006

3L-itous


My fellow FirstMover Luke Gilman's post about the effects of first year torts, believe it or not, made me somewhat nostalgic for my 1L days. I don't miss the stress that accompanied having absolutely no idea what was going on for most of my first semester, but the novelty of what I was learning, the fear of being cold called, and becoming acutely aware of the fact that I was starting to see the word (and all of it's liabilities) differently made it all kind of exciting.

Now I'm a 3L, the novelty has worn off, sitting in class no longer provides the adrenaline rush it once did, and I'm starting to think that seeing the world as one big web of liability is just a long winded way of being cynical. As someone who started law school thinking I could be happy being a student forever, I now find myself just treading water waiting for my BarBri class to start. After all it's BarBri, not law school, that's going to prepare me for the bar exam; and it's the bar exam that stands between me and finally going to work. Some of my classmates and I have been weighing in on why it is that law school has to be three years long. What is it that third year does to prepare us for the professional world? I think I may have finally figured it out. There's something to be said for being in a holding pattern. Whether or not I'm actually getting the training necessary in law school to be a successful attorney (although I'm pretty sure I am) , by the time I graduate I sure will be ready to practice law as I will have waited long enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home