Thursday, October 12, 2006

Goliath

David and GoliathI don't know how many of my cohorts here are considering careers in academia, but I presume it's a higher amount than the folks who read my regular gigs. So I ask you:

"The world is beyond saving. That's why I want to be a professor. I can't fix the world, but I can stow away and hurl rocks from my Ivory Tower."

Legit reasoning? Or way too cynical for a 20 year old?

Of course, I am named David. Slinging rocks against insurmountable odds has a long tradition among my folk. So maybe....

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I hope that you change your mind. Professors have the unique ability to reach an astounding number of students every day, and have the flexibility in scheduling to effect change outside of the classroom - and publicize those changes to students, colleagues, and the press, hopefully showing the ability of an individual to effect change. Perhaps a reference to Martin Luther is more appropriat than David & Goliath: "Here I stand. I can do no other."

10/12/2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger Luis Villa said...

Were I already an academic, I'd probably be insulted, honestly :) Most academics like to keep up the pretense that their work is more than 'stowing away and throwing rocks'; certainly the best ones influence the thinking and actions of broad numbers of people (Lessig comes to mind, but I'm sure there are better examples outside of IP.)

10/12/2006 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home